You are here: Home Plan Your Studies How to apply Language requirements
Language requirements

English requirements

All higher education programmes in Denmark require a high standard of English.

Applicants to English-taught undergraduate and postgraduate programmes must, as a minimum, prove English proficiency comparable to 'English B' in the Danish upper secondary school (gymnasium).

Some programmes require 'English A', which is one level higher than 'English B'.

To prove a satisfactory proficiency in English, the language tests TOEFL, IELTS and Cambridge ESOL examinations (CAE) are often used.

The score equivalents are determined by the individual institution, so to be certain check out their language requirements. Based upon a rough average of previous reqirements, here is an estimate of the ranges you can expect:

IELTSTOEFLCambridge Advanced English
* English B - test score of at least 6.5 points * English B - test scores in the ranges of 550-583 (paper-based), or 213-237 (computer-based test), or 79-93 (internet-based test) * English B - Certificate in Advanced English (CAE)
English A - test score of at least 7.0 points English A - test scores in the ranges of 587-610 (paper-based), or 240-253 (computer-based test), or 94-101 (internet-based test) English A – Certificate of Proficiency (CPE)

Note: * Some programmes require 'English A', which is one level higher than 'English B'.

Applicants who are native English speakers must also submit proof of English proficiency equivalent to at least English B level in Denmark.

Educational institutions can offer a specially designed test for these applicants, which can document the applicant's English level.

Requirements for admission into Danish-taught study programmes

If you are able to study in Danish you can find courses and degree programmes taught in Danish at

For admission into these programmes you must prove a satisfactory level of proficiency in Danish by taking the test called ‘Danish as a Foreign Language’ (‘Studieprøven i dansk som andetsprog’) or ‘Danish Test 2’ (‘Danskprøve 2’).

Some programmes may require that you have passed ‘Danish Test 3’ (‘Danskprøve 3’). Read more at

Note that as an international student you can take Danish lessons for free. This way you may enroll first in an English-taught undergraduate programme and then continue your education in Danish at the graduate level once you have achieved the required Danish language skills.


Find Your Study Programme

Our higher education institutions offer more than 600 English taught study programme. There should be one to fit your academic aspirations.

Find Your Study Programme
Thinking Culture?