You are here: Home Living in Denmark Permits, Visas & Red Tape Residence permits (non-EU/EEA citizens)
Residence permits (non-EU/EEA citizens)

How to get a permit

As a non-EU/EAA citizen you may be granted a Danish residence permit in order to study in Denmark.

To be granted a residence permit, you must prove in writing that:

  • You have been accepted as a student to a higher education course/programme at a university, college or institute that has been approved by the Danish government
  • You are either completing an entire educational programme offered by a Danish institution of higher learning or are a visiting/guest student attending part of a programme that you have already commenced in your country of residence.
  • You can support yourself financially for the duration of your stay. This can be documented by proving that you have paid tuition fee for the first semester or year. If you submit a bank statement for financial documentation, please note that the bank statement must be less than 30 days old, that your name is visible and that it clearly states the currency in which the account is held.
  • You can speak and understand the language of instruction and have a command of either Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, English or German.

How to apply for a student residence permit

To apply for a Danish residence permit you have to fill out this application form

Make sure you fill out the application form correctly. You are obligated to give true and correct information to the Danish Immigration Authorities.

You may risk having your application rejected or the processing time of your case delayed if you fail to do so.

The process is as follows:

  • First, a representative of the educational institution in Denmark will complete section two of the application form and send it to you with the attach the required documents attached.
  • Next, you must complete section one of the application form and attach your own supporting documents to it (remember to sign the sworn declaration at the end of the form).
  • Lastly, you must submit the application form in its entirety at the nearest Danish Embassy, General Consulate or VFS-station. The application will then be forwarded to the Danish Immigration Service for processing. You can also submit your application online. In this case, you must submit your biometric features at one of the aforementioned Danish Representations within 14 days. 

Note: A 2000 DKK processing fee will normally be charged when applying for a residence permit or an extension of a residence permit.

The International Office can help you
If you need help when applying for a Danish residence permit, contact the International Office at the institution you have been accepted to. They can guide you, if for example it is not possible to apply for a biometric residence permit in your home country. Contact details for all institutions.

Useful links

How to apply for a residence permit to study in Denmark


Find Your Study Programme

Our higher education institutions offer more than 600 English taught study programme. There should be one to fit your academic aspirations.

Find Your Study Programme
Thinking Culture?