You are here: Home Living in Denmark Accommodation

When should I start looking for accomodation?

You should start to look for accommodation months before you arrive, as it can be very difficult to find accommodation right before the semester begins.

Therefore, we strongly advise you to contact your Danish host institution for information about housing as soon as you have been accepted into a study programme.

Please be aware that it can be rather difficult to find accommodation in the bigger cities during August and September.

We advise against travelling to Denmark at this time without reserving a room first.

Types of accommodation

Some international students prefer to rent a room or sublet from a Danish student or landlord.

Others rent an apartment or a house, which they share with friends. Student dorms and halls of residence are also options. Regardless of whether you choose to live in a hall of residence, or rent a room or an apartment, you will have to cater for yourself.

Cleaning and doing your laundry is also your own responsibility.

Look for the mentioned types of accommodation.

Halls of residence (‘kollegier’)

Halls of residences offer accommodation in a communal environment.

This kind of living may be particularly suitable for international students, who have just arrived and don’t know anyone yet.

Additionally, the rent for a room in a hall of residence is generally cheaper than renting a room in a private apartment. Find a hall of residence in Denmark.


Can I bring my dog? It is not easy to find housing that allows you to bring any kind of pet. Most student residences and apartments have regulations concerning domestic animals. However, you can explore the possibilities by asking your host institution for advice.

Can I bring my family? As a student it is possible to apply for a bigger student residence if you have a family. Alternatively, you could look for private housing that suits your needs. You should expect it to take a little longer to find, however, than just a single room.

I have allergies. Can I get a room without carpets? It is certainly possible to find housing that accommodates this type of special needs. You need to mention this when applying or ask your host institution for advice.

Find Your Study Programme

Our higher education institutions offer more than 600 English taught study programme. There should be one to fit your academic aspirations.

Find Your Study Programme
Thinking Culture?