Next Generation Sequencing
Summer School of , 5 ECTSAgriculture and environment Mathematics, natural- and computer science
|Institution||Aarhus University (AU)|
|Tuition per term (Non-EU/EAA/CH)||1303 EUR|
|Tuition per term (EU/EAA/CH)||140 EUR|
DescriptionThe course will start with an overview of current NGS technologies and directions in which these are currently progressing. Methods for assembling genomes from NGS data using either a reference genome or de novo assembly will be presented together with some emphasis on assessing NGS data quality (Quality control, accuracy of base calling). The course will then offer an overview of the range of biological/biomedical questions that these new types of data can help to address. This includes:
- The use of NGS resequencing of closely related genomes for detecting mutations. This includes the characterization of somatic mutations in cancer tissues, the de novo mutation spectrum in eukaryotic genomes, and the detection of mutations underlying phenotypic changes in experimental or natural populations.
- Combining NGS with methods aimed at reducing genome complexity such as exome resequencing in complex genomes.
- The use of resequencing of a large number of individuals for Single Nucleotide Polymorphism (SNPs) and Copy number variation detection.
- Application of NGS in Transcriptomics, Epigenomics and Chromatin structure studies. Environmental/Meta-genomics studies probing the bacterial/viral diversity of understudied biomes.
- Comparative and evolutionary genomics.
- Introduction to Galaxy, GATK and Samtools.
- Grooming of reads.
- Mapping of Illumina reads to reference.
- SNP/indel calling, filtering and annotation.
- Gene models and transcript quantification.
About the DegreeThis is a summer course that counts 5 or 10 ECTS.
- You must be enrolled in a university programme at the time of the AU Summer University
- If you are applying for admission to AU Summer University courses at the Master level, you must hold a relevant Bachelor's degree (or as a minimum 180 ECTS in your study programme
- The application deadline is March 15th
TuitionThe tuition fee varies from course to course. Find the price on the individual course page. Find more information here http://www.au.dk/en/summeruniversity/tuitionfeeandparticipationfee/
For Further InformationYou can find more information on the programme here www.au.dk/summeruniversity
If you have any questions regarding the programme please write email@example.com