Chemistry and Molecular Biology
Master (2 years) of Chemistry and Molecular Biology, 120 ECTSMathematics, natural- and computer science
|Institution||Roskilde University (RUC)|
|Tuition per term (Non-EU/EAA/CH)||8400 EUR|
DescriptionThis Masters programme is a combination of two equal subjects (each 60 ECTS points), Chemistry and Molecular Biology.
This combination gives you a Natural Science education with a unique academic foundation for contributing to the rapid evolution in biotechnology derived from the genomics revolution that is currently taking place. New drugs and products for “green chemistry” are being developed in pharmaceutical and biotechnological industries based on the new technologies and discoveries in the interdisciplinary field of molecular biology and chemistry.
The chemistry studies and the chemistry research at RUC aim at doing chemistry in a green way. The chemistry student at RUC participates in research from day one.
Molecular biology is the biology discipline that deals with cellular macromolecules, their characteristics and interactions. In the courses of Molecular Biology, you will obtain a solid knowledge of all the central theories in Biochemistry, Genetics, Cell Biology and Physiology and you will develop your experimental skills.
About the DegreeThe Master´s programme of Chemistry includes three mandatory courses and a number of elective courses. See a list of the courses.
In the Master´s programme of Molecular Biology, you can choose between two main profiles:
- The Molecular Cell Biology profile provides a deeper insight into cell biology, molecular biology and cell physiology.
- The Bioinformatics profile gives you the opportunity to go in depth with bioinformatics in combination with cell biology.
AdmissionThe general requirements for admission to the Master’s programme are:
- A Bachelor's degree equivalent to a Danish Bachelor´s degree within the field of study of the Master’s programme.
Students who wish to apply for a combination Master’s programme must have an educational background which is relevant to both subjects of the combination. If this is not the case the student, if generally qualified, will be required to do prerequisite studies at bachelor level within the subjects for which the student is not fully qualified.
- Fluency in both spoken and written English. IELTS: 6.5 or TOEFL paper-based: 550 or TOEFL computer-based: 225 or TOEFL internet-based: 80.
Applicants whose native language is English or applicants whose first university degree was completed at an English speaking university need not enclose a proficiency test. Documentation regarding this must be enclosed.
How and where to apply
At RUC you can enrol as a guest student or as an exchange student. Read more about your possibillities using the following links:
TuitionThere is a tuition fee for all full-time degree students who hold a citizenship from outside of EU/EAA/Switzerland.
Students within an exchange programme are not required to pay tuition.
RUC charges an application fee for applicants from countries outside EU/EEA and Switzerland, who do not hold a Danish entry examination or a bachelor´s degree issued by a Danish university.
If you are granted one of the following types of residence permit, you are not required to pay the application fee:
- A permanent residence permit in Denmark ("Permanent opholdstilladelse")
- A temporary residence permit with the possibility of a permanent residence in Denmark ("Opholdstilladelse med mulighed for varigt ophold")
- A residence permit in Denmark according to the EU/EEA regulations (Opholdstilladelse jf. EF/EØS bekendtgørelsen")
For Further InformationHow to contact RUC
Information from the Danish Agency for Higher Education can be located at http://ufm.dk/en
You will find information about the Danish assessment of foreign qualifications in Guide to diploma recognition
About the Educational System in general visit the section The Danish Higher Education System