Cultural Encounters and International Development Studies
Master (2 years) of Cultural Encounters and International Development Studies, 120 ECTSHumanities, social sciences, communication and arts
|Institution||Roskilde University (RUC)|
|Tuition per term (Non-EU/EAA/CH)||4950 EUR|
DescriptionThis Master´s programme is a combination of two equal subjects (each 60 ECTS points), Cultural Encounters and International Development Studies.
Cultural Encounters focuses on the study of cultural identities and symbolic representational and interpretational forms through an international, cross-cultural and global perspective. It is particularly concerned with problems related to processes where cultural identities and representations interact and are exchanged. As such the study programme reflects a cultural interface resulting from the intensified processes of globalisation and internationalisation.
In International Development Studies, the aim is to understand, critique and improve development as it occurs in local, national and global contexts, and in doing so, drawing on political science, political economy, geography, sociology/anthropology, area studies and ecology.
About the degreeThe Master´s programme of Cultural Encounters consists of two Master´s modules, each module is the equivalent of 1 semester:
- Module 1: The 1st graduate module focuses on cultural and linguistic practices in a global perspective.The module contains a graduate level course, two thematic courses, one foreign language study group as well as project work.
- Module 2: Contains a dissemination course, a thematic course, a research seminar and project work.
The teaching language is English.
You can choose to write your thesis at Cultural Encounters, at International Development Studies, or as an integrated thesis, combining both of your subjects in an interdisciplinary thesis.
AdmissionThe general requirements for admission to the Master’s programme are:
- A Bachelor's degree equivalent to a Danish Bachelor´s degree within the field of study of the Master’s programme.
Students who wish to apply for a combination Master’s programme must have an educational background which is relevant to both subjects of the combination. If this is not the case the student, if generally qualified, will be required to do prerequisite studies at Bachelor level within the subjects for which the student is not fully qualified.
- Fluency in both spoken and written English. IELTS: 6.5 or TOEFL paper-based: 550 or TOEFL computer-based: 225 or TOEFL internet-based: 80.
Applicants whose native language is English or applicants whose first university degree was completed at an English speaking university need not enclose a proficiency test. Documentation regarding this must be enclosed.
How and where to apply
At RUC you can enrol as a guest student or as an exchange student. Read more about your possibillities using the following links:
TuitionThere is a tuition fee for all full-time degree students who hold a citizenship from outside of EU/EAA/Switzerland.
Students within an exchange programme are not required to pay tuition.
RUC charges an application fee for applicants from countries outside EU/EEA and Switzerland, who do not hold a Danish entry examination or a Bachelor´s degree issued by a Danish university.
If you are granted one of the following types of residence permit, you are not required to pay the application fee:
- A permanent residence permit in Denmark ("Permanent opholdstilladelse")
- A temporary residence permit with the possibility of a permanent residence in Denmark ("Opholdstilladelse med mulighed for varigt ophold")
- A residence permit in Denmark according to the EU/EEA regulations (Opholdstilladelse jf. EF/EØS bekendtgørelsen")
For Further InformationHow to contact RUC
Information from the Danish Agency for Higher Education can be located at http://ufm.dk/en
You will find information about the Danish assessment of foreign qualifications in Guide to diploma recognition
About the Educational System in general visit the section The Danish Higher Education System