MIT students look to Denmark
- We wanted to visit Denmark and meet with the leading companies and learn what the key drivers of success have been and to see what lessons could be applied to other countries, including the U.S., which is hoping to improve its renewable energy penetration, says Megan Glendon, one of the MIT-students.
Besides the Copenhagen Cleantech Cluster, the group met with companies such as Vestas, Samsø, and the waste- and energy company Amagerforbrændingen, before they continued to Spain to learn more about solar energy.
Danes should focus on "a higher level"
Emmanuel Boros describes the strengths of the Danish renewable energy industry as our ability to have a high penetration rate and to help the country move towards its goal of energy independence. The industry seems to be well represented with interest groups and at the policy level. But there are also areas where Danes and Danish companies should pay more attention.
- We noticed that the focus in Denmark really is on renewable energy for economic and energy independence reasons, and not recycling or sustainability at a higher level. Therefore, one area to improve would be to take these efforts to the next level and encourage recycling and other behavior that complements the great achievements in the renewable energy sector, Glendon says.
Talents look to Denmark
The study trip also helped CCC to create a good relationship with MIT and create international relations around the Danish cluster.
- It is very encouraging that the world's leading talents choose Denmark as their study trip destination, and that they show such a great interest in our companies and in our cluster. But they can also teach us a great deal, not least in regards to looking at cleantech from a market oriented perspective rather than just focusing on technological innovation and our own solutions, Michael Johansen, Project Development Manager in CCC, states.
Article is reproduced from www.cphcleantech.com
- No Applicants left behind - new Deadline for Quota 2 Mar 15, 2013
- Denmark the world's least corrupt country Dec 05, 2012
- Denmark the most climate-friendly country Dec 03, 2012
- Danish education ranks 12th in global study Nov 28, 2012
- Denmark world's second most prosperous country Nov 10, 2012
- Ambassador to China: a Danish education is a good investment Oct 26, 2012
- World Bank: Denmark the easiest place to do business in Europe Oct 24, 2012
- Would you like to star in a Study in Denmark film? Oct 13, 2012
- CBS gets USD 7 million donation to attract international top researcher Sep 28, 2012