THINK PLAY PARTICIPATE Studying in Denmark is all about you - Pushing the boundaries, expressing yourself, working with others, applying critical thinking and turning new learning into innovative solutions. Be ambitious. Study in Denmark.

Residence permits - for non-EU/EEA citizens

As a non-EU/EAA citizen you will need to apply for a Danish residence permit to study in Denmark - before coming to Denmark. Here is what you need to know

Creative smiling female student sitting on table

As a non-EU/EAA citizen you may be granted a Danish residence permit in order to study in Denmark.

To be granted a residence permit, you must prove in writing that:

  • You have been accepted as a student to a higher education course/programme at a university, college or institute that has been approved by the Danish government
  • You are either completing an entire educational programme offered by a Danish institution of higher learning or are a visiting/guest student attending part of a programme that you have already commenced in your country of residence
  • You can support yourself financially for the duration of your stay. If you are to pay a tuition fee, you must document that you have paid the tuition fee for the first semester or year, instead of documenting that you can support yourself. (Please note: foreign students do not usually receive state grants or benefits in Denmark. If you make a false claim for such assistance, your residence permit may be revoked and you risk deportation)
  • You can speak and understand the language of instruction and have a functional command of either Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, English or German

How to apply for a student residence permit

To apply for a Danish residence permit, fill out this application form

Be careful when filling out your application. An incorrectly completed form could jeopardise your chances of success. The process is as follows:

  1. First, a representative of the educational institution in Denmark will complete section two of the application form, attach the required documents and send it to you.
  2. Next, complete section one of the application form and attach your own supporting documents.
  3. Submit the application in its entirety at the nearest Danish embassy or general consulate in your home country. It will then be forwarded to the Danish Immigration Service for processing.

IMPORTANT: Biometic residence cards required for all non-EU students
As of 20 May 2012, all non-EU citizens aged over 18 must have their photograph, fingerprints and signature recorded digitally when they submit their application for a Danish residence permit. See where to apply for a biometric residence permit after May 20, 2012 (list is subject to change).

Note: As of 1 January 2011, a processing fee will normally be charged when applying for a residence permit or an extension of a residence permit. For further information about fees, please visit

The International Office can help you
If you need help when applying for a Danish residence permit, contact the International Office at the institution you have been accepted to. They can guide you, if for example it is not possible to apply for a biometric residence permit in your home country. Contact details for all institutions.

Useful links

How to apply for a residence permit to study in Denmark